Public Forums >> Ask a Question >>

Forum Rules View Watchlist Post Reply

To Editors: Don't understand reasons

AuthorMessage
spikethru4*au

new Posted: 09:36PM May 6, 2013

I recently had the rebus "Did She Wander, I Wonder?" rejected. The rebus is:

1ADLEIRCLE&

with the solution "Alice in Wonderland". The reason for rejection was given as "Your teaser does not work as presented. The phonetic structure alone is not enough to make it a teaser."

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the reasoning. Why doesn't the teaser work? What is it lacking? Please explain further, so that I can avoid making similar mistakes in future.
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM    
  Post from Mathgeek007 deleted on 11:24AM May 17, 2013.
Smithy*enmod

new Posted: 03:08PM May 7, 2013

The teaser submission FAQ here mentions some specific Rebus forms that are no longer accepted because of multiple usages on the site already, and one of those mentioned is:
Putting a word or letters in another word to make "in".

Given the frequent usage of this construct, a teaser that relies solely on this is tantamount to a duplicate even if the specific phrase used is different to pre-existing versions on the site, and we felt that the phonetic construction in this teaser (i.e. "1derl&" for "wonderland") was not enough for this teaser to stand alone from its reliance on the "in" structure.

I hope that clears it up somewhat!

"They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?" "No man, they got the metric system. The wouldn't know what a Quarter Pounder is."
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM     Visit Wiki
spikethru4*au

new Posted: 08:51PM May 7, 2013

Thank you Smithy; that clears up the second part of the reason. I still take issue with "[it] doesn't work as presented". Unless there's a good reason why the teaser doesn't work, then it was simply confusing and unnecessary.
fishmedAusmod

Papa Fish

new Posted: 07:21PM May 8, 2013

It would seem to me that the second part of the answer defines the reasons for the first comment.

I wish I could sleep... but my mind starts to wander, and well, basically, one sheep, two sheep, cow, turtle, duck, Ol McDonald had a farm... HEEEY Macarena!!!
spikethru4*au

new Posted: 09:43PM May 8, 2013

fishmed wrote:
It would seem to me that the second part of the answer defines the reasons for the first comment.

I disagree. Regardless of its suitability, the rebus still works, does it not? The second reason indicates why it was rejected (which I accept) but doesn't explain why the rebus "doesn't work as presented".

If the editors are going to pass judgment on our efforts then they need to make sure that their reasons for rejecting teasers are clear. Saying "the teaser doesn't work" with no explanation as to why is not helpful.
sonic102cin

new Posted: 03:26PM Jun 29, 2013

The teaser does work.

However, I think the mods think it can also be interpreted as "Wonderland in Alice". (It can).

Play my game "Alliances"! PM me!
fishmedAusmod

Papa Fish

new Posted: 01:20AM Jun 30, 2013

sonic is right, that as a whole it works, but it was decided as editors that it did not work well enough using 1 as one and & as and to make the entire construct work well enough to be accepted. One of the main issues is that it was determined some time ago that they usage of words within words, or above/below words was so overdone as to no longer deemed acceptable. As such a rebus needs to use more than just a phonetic construct, or a positioning of words/letters to make it work. It needs to draw on more than once kind of construct at once to be acceptable now. I hope this helps.

I wish I could sleep... but my mind starts to wander, and well, basically, one sheep, two sheep, cow, turtle, duck, Ol McDonald had a farm... HEEEY Macarena!!!

Public Forums >> Ask a Question >>

! Access Restricted

You'll need to create an account and sign in before you can post messages.

Users in Chat : Jmoney95 

Online Now: 22 users and 564 guests

Copyright © 1999-2014 | Updates | FAQ | RSS | Widgets | Links | Green | Subscribe | Contact | Privacy | Conditions | Advertise

Custom Search

Sign In A Create a free account