You exercise your body to stay physically in shape, so why shouldn't you exercise your brain to stay mentally fit? With these daily exercises you will learn how to flex your mind, improve your creativity and boost your memory. As with any exercise, repetition is necessary for you to see improvement, so pick your favorite exercises from our daily suggestions and repeat them as desired. Try to do some mentalrobics every single day!
1. Recite the alphabet backwards.
2. Recite the alphabet skipping every other letter. (A, C, E, G, ...)
3. Try spelling two words by alternating one letter at a time (example with words "carrot" and "potato": cpaortraotto)
4. Pick a word and spell it. Then shift it by a letter and spell again. Repeat. (example: RELAX, ELAXR, LAXRE, AXREL, ...)
Remember, this is a mental exercise, so try to do it with your eyes closed.
Find a nearby object and stare at it for a few seconds. Now close your eyes and notice that there is an afterimage of the object that fades after a few seconds. Try to turn this afterimage into a visualization and retain it in your mind when the afterimage fades. Open your eyes and look at the object again. You will notice things that you didn't see before. Close your eyes and try to visualize the object again and incorporate the details that you missed the first time. Repeat this process until you are able to retain a clear image of the object in your mind for several seconds after the afterimage fades. With practice you will be able to create detailed images in your mind from any object that you see.
The Spaghetti Cantilever challenge is a fun one. Each team is given a small package of spaghetti, a roll of tape and a table. The objective is to construct a cantilevered structure that extends as far from the table as possible without touching the ground. The structure must be attached to the top of the table and nowhere else. Because spaghetti is very brittle, the engineering becomes very important. Measurements should be taken from the edge of the table to the furthest point of the spaghetti structure.
This visual exercise will help you become aware of the things that you do not normally see. It also helps improve your ability to reconstruct things in your mind's eye. Visual skills are an important part of creativity.
- Memory Tests - Determine how good your memory is.
- Flash Cards - Create and use flash cards to learn new information.
- Vocab Builder - Build a better vocabulary with these words from the SAT and GRE standardized tests.